From “alcoholic-free wines” to pure, healthy fruit juices. Haus Rabenhorst in Unkel can look back on an eventful history of more than 200 years.
In 1805, the foundation stone of Haus Rabenhorst was laid by Heinrich Lauffs (1761-1837), a clergyman. In that year, he founded a winery in Oberwinter, just a few kilometres away from the present home of the business.
80 years later, his grandson, Oskar Lauffs, moves the business to its present location in Unkel, with the firm’s villa that is still a characteristic feature of Haus Rabenhorst today.
His son, Alexander Lauffs (1865-1951), makes use of the pasteurization process invented by Louis Pasteur and launches the production of “alcohol-free wines”. The “Red grape juice” is created, becoming Rabenhorst’s trademark product and marking the first step on the path as a maker of healthy juice products.
His sons, Günther Lauffs (1901-1990) and Walther Lauffs (1903-1981), embark on their careers in the business. In line with the “health reform” movement, they advocate healthy, natural nutrition. Under their management, Rabenhorst becomes synonymous with healthy fruit juices, with the range extended by products that are still known and loved today.
As early as 1969, they initiate the system of controlled, organic contract cultivation at Rabenhorst. The first research contracts are placed with Institute of Organic Agricultural Sciences of Kassel University, marking the start of a process of cooperation lasting many years. This is a trailblazing step in the development of controlled, organic cultivation.
The healthy fruit juice products from Rabenhorst are also advertised on TV from an early stage. Today, the old television commercials have the charm of days gone by. Take a look some time at the old commercials on our Youtube channel.
Haus Rabenhorst celebrates its 200th birthday. The first German producer of non-perishable grape juice has grown into an enterprise that stands like no other for healthy, high-quality juices.